Monday, June 13, 2011

30 Day Comic Book Challenge - Day 05 - Comic character you feel you are most like

Day 05 - Comic character you feel you are most like

The Flash

Ok, let's get the premature ejaculation jokes out of the way now. Yes, good old "One Pump Penner" is just like "The Fastest Man Alive" and is in and out "in a flash"! However, on top of that same issue, Flash is often noted to have to slow down his thinking just to be able to have a simple conversation with someone. I've always had a similar issue with concentration that is my own fault for having an interest in a too-wide variety of subjects (and maybe I have a severe mental issue I'd rather just ignore than deal with).

Mark Waid always wrote Wally West in a way where he always had somewhere else to be and was always frustrated knowing he could be there within seconds but had to deal with social conventions first (depending on the severity of the issue, of course, Superman wouldn't say "You didn't say goodbye earlier" if Wally had raced off to save a continent).

The same issue is said over at Marvel for Quicksilver but he's such a dick all the time I'd hate to compare myself to him. I would look further into it but I have other things to do and just typing this damn sentence is taking forever!

I know a number of other writers and artists with a similar problem, one little distraction or a person walking by you in the mall can trigger a story in your head and you wake up seconds later wondering how you got 20 feet further from where you were. It's not that I'm not listening to you when you talk, it's just that my brain has quickly popped over to an alternate dimension to watch something play out. If you leave me alone, I might remember to jot it down and work it into something later but odds are good I'm in the middle of 'social convention' and will forget the passing thought (no matter how world-changing it may have been) so I can finish strapping my daughter in the car so I can go pick up milk.

- Jeff

No comments: