Sunday, June 19, 2011

30 Day Comic Book Challenge - Favourite Comic Couple

I'll take the literal term for 'comic couple' and go with Booster Gold and Blue Beetle!

I admit I never read "Justice League International" back in it's hey-day but I did get to know these two through modern books where they guest-starred. From starting their "Blue and Gold" delivery services (getting in Green Lantern's way) and one of my favourite comics ever, "Martian Manhunter #24". In this silly issue, J'onn's oreo addiction is pushed to it's limits when Booster and Beetle hide his stash. The ensuing rage that consumes J'onn as he chases them through the city shape-shifted as a giant "Hulk" was great fun (highlighted by them passing by Max in a very important JLI-related investors meeting).

Booster and Blue Beetle were just coming into their own and growing up right around the time "The Omac Project" started and they were really growing on me. Unfortunately, it was all a trap to make me like them so Max could shoot Blue Beetle in the head. I wasn't shocked that it was him that died (considering you could see his dead body on the cover to Infinite Crisis) but that they downright blew his brains out! Not some 'death ray', or scattering his atoms across the cosmos or some crazy "off-panel" death where they could easily bring him back someday...a bullet to the head (with brains flying everywhere) pretty much ruled that out. Booster (our time-travelling hero) did go back to the instant before Ted's death to save him but ended up blowing that big time.

Though I'm not a huge fan of Jaime as the new Blue Beetle (though I did enjoy his series before cancellation), I've happily followed Booster's series from the start. It's a great little side series (that ends up playing a huge role in the DCU).

- Jeff

No comments: