Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Comic Book Challenge Day 09 - Most touching comic book/comic book scene

Day 09 - Most touching comic book/comic book scene

Y the Last Man

Absolutely the saddest and most touching scene I have seen in 20 years of reading comic books is oddly between a man and his monkey.

As I intend on re-reading Y the Last Man from start to finish again this year, I don't want to crack open the final TPB to review this scene and spoil it for myself later. Going on memory, this is a very touching scene and the only time in my comic-reading-history that a book made me cry.

*SPOILER ALERT*
If you haven't read (or finished) this series, DON'T read on.
*END SPOILER ALERT*



Long after the story is ended and years have passed by, Yorick is living life, still the only man left on Earth (aside from his many clones). Ampersand, Yorick's faithful monkey (that has not only been his best friend for decades but also possibly the REASON he survived the plague) is at death's door. To spare him a painful death, Yorick takes him into the forest for a final friendly walk together. He gives Amepersand, who is looking old and frail wrapped in a blanket in Yorick's arms, a date with arsenic (or some poison) on it. Upon taking a bite, Ampersand begins to feel the violent effects. Yorick apologizes over and over again through tears as he watches his oldest friend pass on.

That's the version I remember and, being an animal lover, I guess that scene just hit a soft spot with me.

- Jeff

No comments: